Saturday, September 25, 2010

My Throne

So, this is my bathroom. My favorite part is the Skye Bank air freshener hung on the left wall, which is one of dozens scattered around the house, including the very formal living spaces.



Not a lot to see, but let's take a closer look anyway.

Pretty standard stuff, including the backup buckets. Even when we do have water in the pipes, the pressure is often not enough to wash shampoo out, so I am learning to love the bucket bath. I might even prefer it with the room temperature water we use, since there's no widow maker installed in here yet to heat up the water (though, as Susan has pointed out to me, the water doesn't come out near freezing either).


These buckets are also used to flush the toilet when there is not water in the pipes, which you do by pouring half a bucket of water directly into the bowl. If aimed correctly, this somehow opens the latch and flushes everything down. Unfortunately, this I am still developing these skills, but I'll just leave that at that.

I also wanted to share this little sample of Nigerian construction strategies, which include just grinding out holes in the wall for access to pipes and faucets that were made to fit spaces not originally suited for them.


One thing you won't see in this room is any kind of light fixture, which means that even when we do have electricity, I make my way around by flashlight, which is slightly treacherous given that the floors are perpetually wet and rather slippery. So most of the time the bathroom looks like this.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Listen, air freshener is universally important. The best are those that are so pungent you can feel each brain cell die from the fumes.

Comparing the photos here with those from the rest of the house makes me really appreciate the color choice. That green is VIBRANT.

My favorite of your photos is the last -- the "true to life" night vision bathroom. It makes me feel like I'm in an episode of Ghost Hunters.

Caitlin said...

Hey ya'll--Sohini and I are too busy getting chocolate massages and fish pedicures to think about toilets right now...
JUST KIDDING--I always have time to think about toilets, even when I'm being smeared with chocolate and shoved in a steam room. But since we're on the road and don't have a real computer (I'm typing this from S's swanky smartphone!) we can't post any photos. But I'm totally taking them, and will post when possible.
Basically, we both need extensions on this scavenger hunt assignment.