Thursday, June 5, 2008

Have Survived Jungle, Please Send Beers

Dear Cohort (and anyone else who maybe reads our blog, Hi Mom!):

Sorry for the long radio silence; things were so crazy at the start of our trip that we never saw internet again after leaving Providence and then, obviously, we were in the jungle for a long long time. But we´re back, now with extra bug bites!

We left camp this morning and spent several hours driving/stuck in mud up to the truck´s axels, but now we´re recuperating in the relative luxury of a hotel in the lovely island town of Flores, Guatemala. Showers have been taken, real food eaten, and a few cold beers have even been consumed. I might be a little guilty of tracking mud all over the otherwise clean floors.

We have some gooood jungle stories and retroactive blog posts saved up, but will probably have to keep saving them until we get ourselves organized and back to Guatemala City (sometime in the next couple of days, maybe). Mostly, I just wanted to let you all know that we survived and that our field season was successful. Here are some topics to look forward to in future posts:

-Bugs, bugs, and more bugs
-Other jungle animals
-James´s jungle beard
-The effects of hurricanes on archaeologists
-Stuff We Done Dug Up
-Etc.

I hope you all are doing well, wherever you may be—I miss you all greatly and look forward to many stories of you adventures!

Besos,
Caitlin and James

4 comments:

Susan said...

Hooray! Thanks for the taste of what´s to come...We need photos of the jungle beard, etc.

A Southern's adventure in Providence said...

Hey Cait,

As you know I'm doing Americorp this fall, and I have officially accepted a position. I'm going to be in PROVIDENCE!!! So now I have to find housing, and a roommate, and all that Jazz. I just officially accepted today! Anyways I'll be in touch since I'll be in your neck of the woods.

P.S. Yes the boyfriend is coming too!

Sohini said...

Welcome back! I can't believe you're out of the jungle and I've only managed to make it as far as the dentist's so far...

Stacey said...

Just saw James' photos on facebook, so now I'm waiting for the blog entry. In the meantime, I can't stop laughing at James' jungle beard. You weren't kidding. OOC.