Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Buses in Kolkata

Thinking about buses, I have this old 90s song, Buses and Trains (anybody?) stuck in my head.

Anyway, on to the scavenger hunt. Full disclosure: I don't take buses here in Kolkata; my transportation is mainly my car. But following is a video--taken from my car--showing Kolkata's iconic yellow Ambassador taxi, followed by the "mini-bus" or the private buses that serve/terrorize (depending on who you ask) the city.



The last time I took a bus here in India was a "luxury" bus to my Mom's hometown of Asansol, which is about 4-5 hours by bus or train. It was the first time we took the bus there. The bus itself was nice enough and air-conditioned (a plus in the summer heat!). But I have never been so afraid for that extended period of time, during which my in-bus snack-box went flying down the aisle at one point (pothole, stray animal in the way, out of control lorry (truck) who knows what the reason for the sudden break was!). Anyway, on the way back, I mutinied and refused to take the bus in favor of the train. I love trains. But that's another post.

No comments: