Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A (not so busy) day in the life of...

So rather than regaling you all with the stories of my "busy" days, I'll share ways I keep myself occupied on those "not so busy" days.

1. Hit the snooze button until 8AM.

2. Come out of my room in a zombie-like state, put water on the electric kettle and make coffee in my french press. As much as I love coffee, I really dislike instant coffee, which is generally the favored form of coffee here--with lots of milk and sugar. So, I have to pack lots of ground coffee from home, and relatives from Bangalore have been wonderful in getting me coffee grown in South India.

3. Read my four newspapers: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Times of India, and The Telegraph, while eating breakfast.


4. If I'm not doing anything else productive, I spend most of my day at my workspace (see below), alternating between fieldnotes, the interwebs, skype and general procrastination.


5. Some days I wander off to the nearby Cafe Coffee Day (conveniently located in a mall, where I can also spend some quality time shopping), for a change in environment. Though working in coffee shops is not nearly as common here, so I do get strange looks when I've been sitting around for too long.

6. In the early evening, I often spend some time reading and drinking tea up on our roof.


7. Evenings are pretty much a repeat of fieldnotes, interwebs and skype, before dinner, followed by important research activities in the form of media analysis (i.e. television).

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Uh, you "snooze" until 8? On a lazy day? Pathetic!

Sohini said...

Yeah... what I left out was that around 8AM is when my clock stops snoozing. So, the time between when I last hit the button and actually make it out of the room can vary between 8 and 9. The "hard" part about having everything cooked for you is that you can't really change meal times very easily!

Susan said...

Um. I want that work space. Give it to me. Now.