Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Monsoons, Mangoes and Markets

The day before I was flying into Kolkata (formerly known as Calcutta) parts of the city was flooded from three days of continuous rainfall. Despite the initial fears of whether I would be able to fly in, things have been pretty smooth since getting here and rains have been frequent enough to keep the temperatures down, without causing too much havoc! In the picture, monsoon clouds are gathering over the city. It had been a hot and sunny morning, so when it started raining, steam rose from the pavement as the water evaporated upon hitting the ground.

Monsoons have been making occasional appearances in my interviews in the marketplaces too, where people have cited the rains as reasons for price fluctuations rather than oil prices, etc. that the newspapers have focused on. So rain is good to think with right now...

In other news, mangoes are delicious as ever and I'm discovering that it takes a lot longer to transcribe interviews in Bengali than I had imagined.

3 comments:

Caitlin said...

Yay, thanks for the update! Glad you are not flooded.

Susan said...

I wondered what was happening with you and monsoons...We'll have to compare notes on how people account for rising food prices. Maybe I'll do a responsive glob post....hmmm...or are we supposed to keep are responses here in "post a comment"?

Susan said...

I meant "blog post" -- not glob post.